Friday, July 17, 2009

Tales from work

Whispering clown woman
It was a average slow summer morning at the shop I was working on a pile of repairs. A woman comes in and asks in a tiny whisper about our clown costumes. Now we do get people in who act like picking out a costume is something dirty or to be ashamed of I don't understand why but I help them cheerfully just the same.

So I show her what we have in stock and she picks a few things and all the wile she is asking me all most inaudible questions. "Is this good for a clown? Is this clown-like? Are you sure this is for a clown? will this make a good clown?"

She repeats these questions for every clown related thing on the rack. Finally after trying everything in the section on she narrows it down to two outfits. She spends the next hour trying them on over and over again wile waffling between them. Every time I try to answer the phone or get back to patching things she comes and stands near me stareing until I am done and then starts her litany of questions over again.

Unable to decided between them she comes over to the wigs and repeats these questions "Is this good for a clown? Is this clown-like? Are you sure this is for a clown? will this make a good clown?" for almost every female wig we have in stock last time I counted there were about 30 to 35 of them. Then she wanders off to obsessively try on the same two outfits again and I put all the wigs back in their places. She comes back and tries them all on again wile switching outfits between wigs.

By the time she is done she has spent almost three hours of my four hour shift repeating the same questions over and over in a tiny voice I have to straining my ears to understand and clinging to me like a leach. I don't think I have ever been so happy to see some one leave.

1 comment:

  1. Oh work can be horrible some days.
    Eeek Is this good for a clown,you have said No ! I hate clowns ! well I'm sure you imagined it.It helps to get through the day.

    ReplyDelete